This contest is CLOSED. Last date for entries was Wednesday, 12 November, 2014. The winner will be announced on Saturday, 14 November, 2014. If you missed this contest, don’t worry! The next one will be around the corner shortly.
Welcome to Contest 8. All this time, we’ve been using ‘grand’ themes for our writing contests, such as peace, and we’ve largely ignored the humble writing prompt. So this time, I thought it will be fun to give out a simple text prompt and see what kind of stuff people write based around that.
The prompt we’re going to be writing on is this:
With bloody hands I say goodbye
This is a six-word story written by Sam Miller in response to some challenge or the other. These six-word stories, I’ve found, make great writing prompts. (Remember Hemingway’s ‘For sale: Baby shoes, never worn’?)
The idea is to write a piece based on the theme communicated by the sentence. Here are some ‘rules’:
1. Ideally, the sentence must appear in your entry, preferably at a pivotal point. You can mess around with the tense of the verb, so ‘said’ or ‘will say’ is also acceptable.
2. If you’re struggling to fit the sentence in your piece as it is, then feel free to change it as long as you stick to the theme of saying goodbye with bloody hands.
3. Any form that you’re comfortable with is good. That means poetry, mood piece, fiction or essay.
4. Word limit, as usual, is 300 words.
How do you enter the contest?
It doesn’t get simpler. You leave a comment to this post. If you leave two comments, they will count as two separate entries. The maximum number of entries you can submit is three. If you leave more than three comments, I won’t tell you off (I’m too nice for that) but I will only pick the first three.
What’s the prize?
A Flipkart e-gift voucher worth 500 Indian rupees. It looks like this.
No, you can’t touch it, but you can buy things – especially books! – with it. If you live outside of India, your choices are limited to e-books because Flipkart doesn’t deliver internationally (yet).
How is the winner selected?
Each comment will be rated on three things:
1. Clarity: We should understand what you’re trying to say. Good grammar and punctuation will help. So will a reasonable structure to your entry. Beginning, middle and end.
2. Personal Touch: We’re interested in getting to know you better. So go for depth, specificity and honesty. In narrative pieces, the deeper you take us with you into the scene, the better it is.
3. Beauty of the writing: Make your words sing. Give rich sensory detail. Describe well. Transport us to to your world. Be cogent, crisp and clear.
The above three criteria are ranked in the order of importance. So clarity is more important than personal touch. And personal touch is more important than evocative writing.
1. The closing date for comments/entries is Wednesday, the 12th of November, 2014. The winner will be announced on Saturday, the 14th of November, 2014.
2. When you enter comments on this blog, you will find a separate text box asking for your email. I recommend that you enter your email into this, so that I will have a way of contacting you in case you win. Rest assured that I will not use your contact information for any other purpose, shady or otherwise.
3. Sexually explicit or offensive material will be deleted at my discretion.
4. Avoid plagiarism. I will check for it, and remove entries that I think are lifted from elsewhere.
Have fun! If you think this is the sort of thing your friends would enjoy, share this post with them and invite them to participate. You can share it with just a click on the sharing buttons below.
See you in the comments!
Image Courtesy: Prezi.com