Note: This contest is CLOSED. The winner will be announced on Friday, 5th September. If you missed out on entering this, don’t worry! The next one will be here pretty shortly.
How do you enter the contest?
It doesn’t get simpler. You leave a comment to this post. If you leave two comments, they will count as two separate entries. The maximum number of entries you can submit is three. If you leave more than three comments, I won’t tell you off (I’m too nice for that) but I will only pick the first three.
What is the topic?
Tell us about your favourite detective from fiction. He could be taken out of literature, television, movies, or plays. Or from real life. The one condition we have is that you should also tell us about your detective’s favourite adventure.
So your piece should revolve around these two central themes:
- Your favourite detective (e.g. Sherlock Holmes)
- Your favourite adventure featuring that detective (e.g. The Hound of the Baskervilles)
Here are some ideas
1. You could write a personal ode to your favourite detective. Tell us why he was fabulous in this particular adventure. Tell us how reading/viewing this story kept you awake. Give us your personal reasons and reactions. Let us know how much this book/movie/play means to you. And why.
2. Write a narrative scene of meeting with your favourite detective on the night before he begins your favourite adventure.
3. Write a narrative scene of meeting with your favourite detective at a crucial plot point in the adventure. How about meeting Holmes on the Grimpen Mire as he lays in wait for the hound?
4. Write a scene or an essay from the point of view of the sidekick in the adventure.
5. Or anything else that comes to your mind. As long as the two central themes are in place – your favourite detective, and his favourite adventure – you can write just about anything. The only limit is your creativity.
How is the winner selected?
Just like last time, each comment will be rated on three things:
1. Clarity: I should understand what you’re trying to say. Good grammar and punctuation will help. So will a reasonable structure to your entry. Beginning, middle and end.
2. Personal Touch: I’m interested in knowing your personal feelings for your favourite detective and his adventure. What does he mean to you and why? So go for depth, specificity and honesty. In narrative pieces, the deeper you take me with you into the scene, the better it is.
3. Beauty of the writing: Make your words sing. Give rich sensory detail. Describe well. Transport us to to your world. Be cogent, crisp and clear.
The above three criteria are ranked in the order of importance. So clarity is more important than personal touch. And personal touch is more important than evocative writing.
This is up to you. Do you feel you can put your point across the best way through a poem? Are you more comfortable with an essay? Or do you prefer to write a short story or a narrative piece?
Anything and everything will work, as long as you stay under 300 words and on topic.
Videos and images are not valid entries.
What’s the prize?
A Flipkart e-gift voucher worth 500 Indian rupees. It looks like this.
No, you can’t touch it, but you can buy things – especially books! – with it. If you live outside of India, your choices are limited to e-books because Flipkart doesn’t deliver internationally (yet).
This time, there is a bonus prize. Every valid entry will go into a lucky dip and one lucky winner will get an author-signed copy of Happily Murdered by Rasleen Syal.
Just enter the contest with a valid entry and you’re in to win. Not a bad deal, eh?
And of course, Rasleen would like feedback on her novel. Wouldn’t you, Rasleen?
1. The closing date for comments/entries is Wednesday, 3rd of September, 2014. The winner will be announced on Friday, 5th of September, 2014.
2. When you enter comments on this blog, you will find a separate text box asking for your email. I recommend that you enter your email into this, so that I will have a way of contacting you in case you win. Rest assured that I will not use your contact information for any other purpose, shady or otherwise.
3. Sexually explicit or offensive material will be deleted at my discretion.
4. Avoid plagiarism. I will check for it, and remove entries that I think are lifted from elsewhere.
Have fun! If you think this is the sort of thing your friends would enjoy, share this post with them and invite them to participate. The more the merrier!
See you in the comments.